We are now two weeks into the latest escalation of the long and bloody conflict between Israel and Hamas.
A humanitarian catastrophe is unfolding in Gaza, prompting UN Secretary-General António Guterres to call for an immediate ceasefire to stop the indiscriminate bombing of civilians and civilian objects.
But on the same day, a UN Security Council Resolution calling for a ‘humanitarian pause’ was blocked by the US government – with the UK and Russia abstaining. Political action is needed now but global leaders are in a diplomatic gridlock, which risks further destabilising the region.
In this episode, experts discuss the horrifying situation in Gaza and what action is needed immediately to uphold international humanitarian law and stop the bloodshed.
- Sara Pantuliano (host), Chief Executive, ODI
- Robert Mardini, Director-General, ICRC
- Sari Bashi, Program Director, Human Rights Watch
- Ihsan Adel, Founder and Chair of Law for Palestine, international lawyer
- Sorcha O’Callaghan, Director of Humanitarian Policy Group, ODI