This note is intended to cover a sequence of trade needs and the role (if any) of aid for trade for each:
- conforming to legal (and customary) standards and rules in trade (including, but not only, tariffs, preferences, SPS, TBT, etc.);
- establishing the institutions to enforce and set the rules;
- improving the application of rules (trade facilitation, information, etc.);
- negotiating changes in rules affecting trade;
- identifying and prioritising the changes in rules likely to help each developing country's trade.
Background paperDownload file