In May 2012, Roger Calow (Head of ODI's Water Policy Programme, WPP) took part in a high-level panel discussion at Africa Water Week (Cairo) on progress in implementing integrated approaches to water resources management in Africa, drawing on WPP's recent contribution to the European Report on Development.
The technical session entitled “Integrated Approaches to Water Resources Management in Africa” was organised on 16 May 2012 by the EU Water Initiative Africa Working Group (EUWI AWG), UNEP-DHI Center for Water and Environment, African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW), Africa Union Commission (AUC), and Global Water Partnership (GWP).
The session was centered around a discussion of the findings in the newly launched report “2012 Status Report on the Application of Integrated Approaches to Water Resources Management in Africa".
The following speakers contributed to the session:
• Dr. Abebe Haile Gabriel, Africa Union Commission
• Mr. Bai Mass Taal, AMCOW
• Dr. Paul Taylor, UNEP-DHI Centre for Water and Environment
• Mr. Fred Mwango, AMCOW TAC (Kenya)
• Mr. Roger Calow, Overseas Development Institute
• Dr. Barbara van Koppen, IWMI Southern Africa
• Dr. Peter Bjornsen, UNEP-DHI Centre for Water and Environment
• Mr. Charles Hakizimana, AMCOW TAC (Burundi)
• Ms. Felizmina Antia, AMCOW TAC (Mozambique)
• Dr. Thomas Chiramba, UNEP
• Dr. Khaled Abu-Zeid, CEADRE
• Dr. Rashid Mbaziira, Africa Union Commission
A summary report can be downloaded here.