This dataset includes 30 indicators for 16 developing countries, representing 51% of the world’s population, for the years 1996 and 2000.
The data includes 5 indicators each within 6 arenas of governance:
- Civil Society: the ways citizens become aware of and raise political issues;
- Political Society: the way societal interests are aggregated in politics;
- Government: the rules for stewardship of the system as a whole;
- Bureaucracy: the rules guiding how policies are implemented;
- Economic Society: how state-market relations are structured; and,
- Judiciary: the rules for how disputes are settled.
The methodology for collecting the data is described in the paper Assessing Governance: Methodological Challenges.
We emphasize that the use and interpretation of governance data (as with any data) needs to be done with care.