ODI and CDRA are hosting a 4-day workshop to introduce the basic principles of Outcome Mapping, with particular emphasis on their application to the planning phase of development projects and programmes.
Includes a half-day OM Surgery to explore ways in which OM concepts and tools can be practically applied within the participants' ongoing projects and programmes.
Designed for programme managers, desk officers and field staff from NGOs, funding agencies and national and international development organisations who are looking for effective ways to address the dynamics of change in the complex environments in which they work.
In the course, participants will learn how Outcome Mapping can help:
- Planning and measuring social change in development projects and corporate initiatives;
- Bring stakeholders into the planning, monitoring & evaluation processes;
- Foster social and organizational learning;
- Strengthen partnerships and alliances;
- Understand and influence more effectively, human and ecological well-being.
Development professionals around the world are using Outcome Mapping because it helps them address questions such as:
- How do we move beyond attribution to document contribution to social change?
- How can we systematically and realistically capture the richness of what is occurring in our projects?
- How do we get our partners and other important stakeholders involved in monitoring our projects?
- How do we integrate M&E into the project from the planning stage?
- How do we decide what to monitor and evaluate?
- How can we notice, explain and respond to unexpected results?
What the previous participants say…
“From the perspective of a development agency advisor, the OM workshop was invaluable. It provided an excellent opportunity to work through some of the challenges relating to the attribution of project outcomes; to the role that the behaviours of key stakeholders play in mediating outcomes and to how to shift the focus from monitoring impacts to monitoring behavioural change and relationships.” Dr Andrew Long, Social Development Advisor, DFID
“The Outcome Mapping workshop was energising and at the same time promoted deep reflection on what we are trying to achieve in development, who we are trying to achieve it for, and how we should assess if we are on the right track with our development work. It puts the focus of development squarely on people!” Nicole Leotaud, Senior Technical Officer, CANARI
Course trainers: Robert Chipimbi and Simon Hearn
- Robert is an M&E facilitator at VVOB, Zimbabwe. He has been actively applying OM for a number of years and has been involved in providing support for OM to a number of different programmes. He conducts trainings regularly.
- Simon is a research officer at the Overseas Development Institute. He currently coordinates the Outcome Mapping Learning Community and is engaged in a number of capacity development initiatives.
Fees and registration
Course fee: £650 - The fee includes workshop registration, materials, accommodation for four nights and all living costs at a coastal retreat centre.
To maximize participation and instructional quality, we limit the number of participants to 24 per workshop. We do this on a first come, first served basis, so to avoid disappointment, register early.
For further information contact:
Overseas Development Institute
111 Westminster Bridge Road
London SE1 7JD
Tel:+44 (0)20 7922 0386
Fax:+44 (0)20 7922 0399
Email: [email protected]
Registered Charity No. 228248
Registrar of Companies No. 661818