Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction
Time (GMT +01) 00:00 23:59
Hero image description: ODI / CDKN stand at the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction 2013 Image credit:Emma Lovell Image license:Creative Commons
The Fourth Session of the Global Platform for Disaster risk Reduction aims to continue the momentum of the prior Global Platform meetings, into a durable and sustained effort from all actors (governments, NGOs and civil society, international agencies and organizations, academic and technical institutions, and the private sector) to take shared responsibility in reducing risks and reinforcing resilience in our communities. The Fourth Session will also be an opportunity to progress and consult on the Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA). ODI's engagement is detailed below.
- Tom Mitchell is on the panel of the featured event: 'The Resilient Future We Want: Children and DRR'. The session will be centered around the views and ideas of children and youth. The event will combine a succession of video clips as well as physical presence of children from Central Asia, Latin America, Africa and Asia to maintain a highly interactive discussion, among children themselves as well as with national and / or local decision-makers.
- Jan Kellett is on the side event: Panel of the Tracking International Financing for Disaster Risk Management. The side event will launch the DAT portal (http://gfdrr.aiddata.org) as well as the first global DAT analytical report. The aim is to build a coalition among donors and other stakeholders for enhanced classification and reporting of disaster risk reduction related aid flows. Insights will be provided by the Inter Agency Standing Committee’s (IASC) analysis of how preparedness for emergency response is financed both domestically and internationally at the national level. Discussion will focus on improved alignment of international aid tracking and domestic account coding for DRR and recovery for national planning and decision-support. http://www.preventionweb.net/globalplatform/2013/programme/sideevent/view/494
- ODI will have a market place (at Booth 16) which will be highlighting exciting ways of improving knowledge on DRR through creative media, including cartoons and short films on community action; and showcasing ODI and CDKN’s innovative work on adaptation finance, DRM in the Post-2015 development agenda, SREX regional and thematic briefings and more.
- Tom Mitchell will present at the IGNITE stage at 2.30pm on Tuesday 21st May: ‘Why disasters must be part of the post-2015 development agenda’.
- Tom Mitchell will present ODI’s work on integrating disasters within the post-2015 development agenda. He will consider the strength of the evidence base, the options for how to include disasters and potential targets and indicators. In doing so, he will share perspectives on the direction MDGs/SDGs process and the prospects for an ambitious sustainable development goals framework.
- ODI / CDKN will also be involved in a number of other meetings and events.
- ODI encourages people to attend the RCRC Climate Centre informal ‘climate games’ event, date TBC.
International Conference Centre, Geneva