Youth Business International youth entrepreneurship support on different contexts
The purpose of this project is to maximise the impact of youth entrepreneurship support in different contexts.
Phase 1 Market Analysis will consist of the following activities:
1. Consultations with YBI, its partners and other key entrepreneurship schemes and experts about relevant initiatives and associated impact data availability, and about impact factors and experience in different contexts.
2. A literature review on entrepreneurship determinants and on the efficacy of efforts to promote entrepreneurship, particularly amongst youth, to inform key factors to be examined during phase 2.
3. Production of a think piece / concept note with proposed approach re: interventions, contexts, countries and impact indicators to use, for discussion and feedback from YBI and other key partners.
4. Incorporation of feedback and production of refined approach note containing detailed plan for phase 2 and 3.
Phase 2 Context Analysis will consist of the following activities:
1. Collection and statistical analysis of cross-country impact data from YBI, and from other entrepreneurship initiatives if relevant, in order to assess and compare the impact of – and challenges associated with – the implementation of similar interventions in a wide range of different country contexts. Depending on the nature of the data available this might include econometric analysis or data mining techniques such as clustering analysis. This will help to identify a categorisation of contexts (at national or subnational level) or country types (e.g. high / mid / low income, fragile / conflict affected, urban / rural / peri-urban etc.)
2. Collection of macroeconomic data from secondary sources (e.g. GEM, World Bank Doing Business Indicators, Investment Climate Assessments, and key macroeconomic variables such as cost of capital, access to finance, education levels, growth rates, political and macroeconomic stability, rule of law etc. to be informed by the Growth Diagnostic Framework) to assess reasons for differences in performance across countries identified in step 1.
3. Detailed telephone interviews and a survey of YBI in-country partners to identify key performance factors and challenges – this can either be used to inform data collection, or can act as perceptions data itself if conducted in a standardised manner across countries.
Phase 3 Policy & Operational Analysis will consist of the following activities:
1. Derive conclusions from analysis in phase 2 about likely impact differences in different contexts.
2. Assess implications and develop associated ‘toolkits’ for 3 audiences: (i) NGOs and other service providers, (ii) governments, donors and policymakers and (iii) young people. These implications / toolkits will include suggestions about implementational adaptations in different contexts, prioritisation of effort and funding in different contexts, and about the most important constraints facing young people in different contexts, suggesting priority issues to tackle where possible.
- Youth Business International (YBI)