SADC Customs Union
Given the existing network of trading arrangements in Eastern and Southern Africa (SADC, COMESA, SACU, EAC, the Cotonou Agreement, EBA, SA-EU DTA, and AGOA), the project
• Assessed whether a SADC CU is advisable and feasible.
• Explored probable geographic configuration of a SADC CU considering overlapping membership in regional agreements – this would include prospects of SACU expanding to include SADC member states and COMESA and SADC CUs intersecting.
• Briefly discussed the likely impact of a SADC CU on member countries (main economic sectors, investment, revenue, etc).
• Developed an outline checklist identifying the actions required to move towards a CU and indicative timetable taking into account the timetables for EPA negotiations and COMESA and ECA CUs.
• Explored options for country configurations for negotiating EPAs with the EU, if (a) SADC moves towards a CU, and (b) SADC sticks to its FTA objective.
Senior Research Associate